SAN DIEGO (KGTV) — Thousands of San Diegans have been left without a job due to the coronavirus pandemic and ABC 10News is committed to helping them get back on their feet.
Every week, we're compiling a list of San Diego employment opportunities covering a variety of industries to jump-start your job search.
Here's a list of job openings in San Diego County, as of June 1, and a link to resources to continue searching:
Description: Subway is looking for a "Sandwich Artist" to greet and serve guests, prepare product, maintain food safety and sanitation standards, and handle or process light paperwork. Responsibilities include:
- Demonstrates a complete understanding of menu items and explains them to guests accurately.
- Uses Point of Sale system/cash register to record the order and compute the amount of the bill. Collects payment from guests and makes change.
- Performs Cash-In Procedure- accounting for all forms of money, bread, etc., during the shift.
- Prepares food neatly, according to formula, and in a timely manner.
- Checks products in sandwich unit area and restocks items to ensure a sufficient supply throughout the shift.
- Understands and adheres to proper food handling, safety and sanitation standards during food preparation, service and clean up.
- Cleans and maintains all areas of the restaurant to promote a clean image. Understands and adheres to the Wash, Rinse, and Sanitize method of cleaning.
Required: Some high school or equivalent.
Barista/Sales Coffee/Retail Shop
Employer: San Diego Trading Co.
Description: The Old Town/Coronado Coffee and Tea Shop is looking for baristas, they are an important part of our customers’ days, and experts in handcrafting delicious, perfect beverages. Baristas personally connect and create moments that make a difference and work together to create a welcoming store environment. They bring our mission and values to life—for our customers and our teammates.
In this position, you will create a memorable experience for our customers by providing them with prompt service, quality beverages and products, and maintaining a clean and comfortable store environment. Conducts and performs job with company values.
Required: No previous experience required.
Retail Sales Associate
Description: Staples is focused on our customer and our community. As a Retail Sales Associate, you’ll provide exceptional customer service and have our customer’s needs in mind while helping them find products and providing answers & solutions.
We are investing in our people and our stores, empowering you to learn, grow and deliver. You will be positive, inclusive and collaborative in helping our customers. You will also be part of a fun, team-oriented retail culture at Staples.
Required: Basic computer skills, and the ability to lift and move materials in the 10-50 pound range, and stand and walk continuously.
Employer: Paw Commons Pet Resort
Description: Join our awesome team! Do you love animals? Are you a team player? Do you have experience with working with animals? Do you have a positive attitude? Are you happiest when around animals?
Candidate must be detail-oriented (work independently), able to communicate well with team members, able to stand for extended periods of time (4-8 hours), must be able to lift 60+ lbs., have reliable transportation, and of course love dogs!
Required: Must have 2 years experience training dogs.
Employer: Carnitas Snack Shack
Description: The restaurant supervisor at Carnitas Snack Shack will set the pace and vibe for the team & guests, coach team members, hold a strong understanding of company vision & core values, project passion and confidence, be genuinely friendly and authentic with guests & team members, and have the ability to thrive in a growth culture.
Required: Education High School or equivalent. Meets the minimum state age requirement related to serving alcohol. Must possess proper food handlers and alcohol dispensing certifications (if required by law). Valid Driver’s License. Food Manager and TIPs Certified. Minimum 2 years experience in mid-volume restaurant preferred.
Environmental Services Worker
Employer: Sharp Healthcare
Description: The Environmental Services Worker will maintain the cleanliness of ancillary, and patient areas while simultaneously meet the expectations of patients. Environmental Services staff is equipped with fundamental knowledge and skills essential to assist Sharp Mesa Vista Hospital in a fast pace environment, full of challenges and changes. Infection Control Skills and Excellent Customer Service similar to a 5 star hotel are essential requirements.
Required: Minimum of one-year hospital or hospitality industry work experience specifically related to Environmental Services functions. High School graduate or equivalent.
Pediatric Medical Receptionist
Employer: Rady Children's Hospital
Description: Performs various procedures associated with routine patient encounters, including processing incoming calls for appointments and distribution, directing patients to appropriate clinic locations, informing patients of clinic procedures and confirming appointments. Checks HMO eligibility and demonstrates knowledge of contracted insurance plans. Sets up new charts, files and faxes requested information according to procedures.
Required: One or more years of customer service, experience in a physician office or outpatient setting preferred. High School graduate or equivalent.
Lab Assistant II
Employer: UC San Diego
Description: Under close supervision, the Lab Assistant II will assist the Principal Investigator and other senior researchers in carrying out experiments to study the innate immune system of the roundworm, C. elegans. This position will involve ordering equipment and supplies, and receiving and organizing these items.
In addition, this position will involve organizing and maintaining databases of laboratory reagents, such as strains, constructs and primers. This position also involves lab administration, and research of C. elegans defense against infection, examining the genetics and cell biology of defense against different pathogens. Position will also involve overseeing undergraduate lab helpers and assistants, as well as overseeing lab safety and other duties as assigned.
Required: Requirements include:
- Graduation from high school or a GED and two (2) years of laboratory experience; OR two (2) years of college including courses in biology and/or microbiology and one (1) year of relative laboratory experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven experience and knowledge with laboratory equipment, including centrifuges, bioguard hood, microscopes, freezers, pipettes, autoclave, balances, and incubators.
- Demonstrated experience in the preparation of scientific reagents.
- Demonstrated knowledge of sterile techniques for bacterial culture.
- Proven knowledge of purchasing and reimbursement procedures. Skill in maintaining steady levels of lab supplies, maintaining purchasing records, and training others in purchasing procedures.
- Solid ability to evaluate and communicate scientific data and present information clearly and concisely. Excellent mathematical computation skills and ability to maintain data accurately.
- Ability to assist in preparation of detailed and accurate scientific reports. Skill to set up and maintain computerized and hard copy inventories and record keeping systems.
- Knowledge/understanding of and at least some experience with Safety Data Sheets, hazard communication and Injury and Illness Prevention Program.
- Familiarity with a Chemical Hygiene Plan addressing safety precautions including appropriate clothing and shoes, safe handling of chemicals, use of protective items. Ability to keep safety training current and consistent with research involvement.
- Successful, positive interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills using tact, diplomacy, discretion, and flexibility with diverse personalities.
- Ability to direct work of both casual workers and other support staff. Skill to train others in basic lab support techniques and procedures (preparation of media, dishwashing, equipment usage, safety, collaborative maintenance etc.).
- Skill to work as part of research team. Skill to interact effectively with faculty, academicians, students, and staff including those of diverse ethnicity, culture, and foreign nationals.
- Proven organizational and administrative skills. Ability to set priorities and to organize a varied workload to meet deadlines despite frequent interruptions.
Manufacturing Technician - Biochemistry Department
Description: This is an entry level manufacturing technician position in the biotechnology industry with the opportunity for growth in manufacturing or other areas of the company. Functions include: assembly of microfluidic flow cells, chemistry,/ biochemistry handling equipment and machinery, some QC, pipetting , buffer prep, glasswash , and general lab duties .
Required: BA or BS in Science or equivalent experience.
Production Assembler 3
Description: The Production Assembler III performs a variety of complex mechanical and/or electromechanical assembly operations, under minimal guidance and in accordance with company policy and safety procedures. Responsibilities include:
- Performs a variety of complex mechanical and/or electromechanical assembly operations in accordance with company instructions and procedures
- Conducts inspections of own and /or other associates work to insure correctness in accordance with company and /or customer drawing
- Applies process specifications governing the production of product within an assigned cell
- Records production time and quantity data at the cell
- Assists with training /development purposes, with tasks in other production cells/locations
- Actively demonstrates all safety policies and procedures
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Required: A Secondary Certificate/High School Diploma or equivalent combination of relevant education and work experience that will allow successful performance of job expectations is preferred. Vocational training, apprenticeships or the equivalent experience in related field. Five to 7 years of relevant experience.
More resources to find job openings around San Diego County are available here.